Monday 29 September 2014

Maleficent: Evil Has Never Been This Good

Courtesy: moviefone.com


After a break of four years, a mother of six children decides to make a comeback as Maleficent - the legendary villain, who scared children all over the world. Wow!

When I first saw the promotions, I wondered why Disney chose to cast Angelina Jolie as Maleficent.  Not that I ever doubted her acting caliber – the lady can pull off any kind of role. But yes, I still did wonder. And so I watched the movie. Trust me, nobody else would have looked so perfect and at ease with those horns, heels and gown train.

The action sequences, the deep voice and definitely the looks – she fitted them all. Now, those of you who haven’t watched the movie would wonder why it would be necessary for Maleficent to look good. My answer would be to stop thinking about the image, which Grimm’s fairy tale or Disney’s 1959 cartoon, has carved into your brain and watch this movie, for it has so much more to offer.

I super liked the narrative methodology adopted for this movie – more so because it’s the villain’s point of view but not narrated by her. According to me, this aspect makes the story even more believable. Hats off to the Disney team! So what if the subject is old? They will always have something new to offer. With Maleficent, it’s like they have dived into the age old fairy tale, manicured the rough edges and filled in so many blanks that we never even bothered to notice. Linda Woolverton has done a magnificent work with the script. You get hooked on to the screen from the very first narrative script, “Let us tell an old story anew and see how well you know it.”

Maleficent is among the few villains who isn't related to the protagonist of the story. Her attire and form is very unique. In fact, she is probably the only villain who is termed as a fairy and not a witch. I love the way all these factors have been utilized to add more cream to the story.

Wiki says if Angelina refused the role, the producers probably wouldn't have made Maleficent. Oh my! I so completely agree with them. I wonder how she has deftly managed to appear calm and menacing at the same time. She looks drop dead gorgeous in this fairy tale; and not once, when the script demands it, does that virtue stop her from making your heart pound with fear. Jolie, I read, practiced telling tales to her children in different voices, before she froze on the voice she would give Maleficent. I am sure that’s among the least of the veteran’s home works for the role, because I am not exaggerating it one bit when I say that, she has nailed it!

If I haven’t read it wrong, one of the main reasons for Disney to cast Vivianne Jolie-Pitt, Angie's daughter, was because she would be the only one who wouldn't get scared of her despite her scary look for the movie. Having said that, I congratulate Angelina and Brad for training their daughter and a tight hug to the little one who made it through. Had it been my son, the darling would have strictly asked me to remove those horns and the bewitching gown; be it on the set, on screen or in the house.

It's hard to believe that this is Robert Stromberg's directorial debut. What an awesome job! I loved the amount of detailing that has gone into the movie. This is especially true when it comes to the raven, Diaval, Maleficent's sidekick. I was awed at the plumed wolf, horse and dragon. The land of the moors is a spectacular sight. We just end up wishing we had such wonderful creatures on earth.

In the entire movie, I frowned at King Stefan’s accent changing at least three times, if not more. It looked like he kept travelling around the world during the making of the movie, aiming at picking accents for his role, that he got confused which one he really liked. Also, according to me, in this version of the tale, King Stefan handing over Aurora to the fairies to bring her up until she turns 16, is not very convincing. Besides these, I enjoyed pretty much everything else.

The best part about this fantasy flick is that, though it attempts in telling a whole new version, it doesn't skip any key points - the wall of thorns, the dragon, the raven, etc. - everything’s there. All of it just has a different story to tell. Another aspect that keeps me vouching for Disney’s creations is that they re-image their own version of Grimm’s fairy tales, but they ensure they don’t kill the predecessor. The cartoon is still good and has enough of detailing that a cartoon demands. The movie has more detailing because adults need more of it. Even someone who is not very familiar with fairy tales, but enjoys animations, wouldn't need an SME while watching the movie.

All this and a whooping $700+ million collection worldwide – well, well, well; what a grand celebration!?!

0 comments:

Post a Comment