Friday 25 July 2014

Ethir Disha: Definitely Against the Tides

Courtesy: thecomplexair.blogspot.in


"Literature that takes you along the delicate contours that exist between reality and dreams. Each story paints a picture of its own. Pictures that transcend the boundaries of time - a book that truly stands out.", promised the scripture behind Mahesh Ravi's Ethir Disha.

Honestly, since I had already read a couple of stories of this book during its making, I was earnestly looking forward to the rest. However, as practice would have it, I had to read the short text behind the book. After having done with that formality, I ventured into the book. The table of contents is usually not a section that interests me. Of course, when it is a novel, the table of contents, at least for me, is not of much importance. But, Ethir Disha being a collection of short stories, the table des matières, was worth looking into. The mild obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD) part in me insisted that I should read starting from the first on the list. However, the title Priyappetta Shri. Balachandran Menon-nu Oru Thuranna Kathu caught my eye. I didn't even realize when the OCD got dismissed. That long, but awesome, title prompted me to choose that story to be my first.

The extent to which I liked that story, I believe, is quite evident from my previous post Rewinding to April 18, 1984. Majorly though it may be, nostalgia was certainly not the only reason because of which I took a liking to this story. The very idea to write a story in the form of a letter - brilliant!

All the other stories were read in random order. All the stories were in perfect sync with their respective titles. Each of the stories took me to a different land. If a Virasamaaya Oru Pranayakadha made me giggle, Samaantharangal made me empathetic, Chilanthikal sent a chill down my spine and the list goes on. I'd love to write about them all; but that would make it a spoiler for all of Ethir Disha's readers out there.

Having said that, all good pieces of literature, deserves a special mention. And the special mention for this book goes to Rakthathullikal. It left me truly inspired with a tinge of envy. I was inspired and envious for the very same reason - I knew that probably, I would never ever had imagined writing anything like that. I mean, whoever thought that a story could be written in 17 sentences? Certainly not me! It got me hooked from line one and at the end of the 17th sentence, the picture that got sketched in my mind completely blew me off. The more I think of this idea of a story written so short, the more I understand the complexity it would have gone through in the making. The obligation it takes to keep the reader captivated from the very first few words is extremely high, in order to achieve such a feat. Unquestionably impressive!

Ethir Disha brings you 10 stories belonging to different genres and each story, in my opinion is amazing in itself. The mode of story telling adopted by the author of the book, Mr. Mahesh Ravi, is fantastic. He has taken care to ensure that each story leads your way to experience a different set of emotions. 

Don't get deceived by its petite appearance, when you get hold of this book. A well-versed reader is sure to enjoy this book of multiple genres. Besides, I am of the opinion that the very appearance of this book will be an encouragement for a first time reader also.

A perfect book to carry around and read anytime. All my best wishes for all the future works that this budding writer has in mind!


Also Read:

0 comments:

Post a Comment