Friday 14 March 2014

Movies That Touched My Heart: Namukku Paarkkan Munthiri Thoppukal



Courtesy: youtube.com
I was 10 when I first watched this movie - I hated Mohanlal, Shari, Thilakan and the lady who played the role of Thilakan's wife. I thought Mohanlal was a man with filthy thoughts. I didn't understand how Shari could ever like this man with dirty thoughts. I was scared of Thilakan and didn't like the looks of the lady who played his wife.

I remember this thought was so strong that I never ever wanted to see the movie again. However, as fate would have it, at some point in my teens I was forced to watch this movie again as I had nothing else to do. At that age, I was confused why I was taking a liking towards the movie. I had hated it once and ideally I should be hating it again.

As an adult I keep making opportunities to see this lovely movie over and over again. It's like a refreshing breath of fresh air. The background score of the movie is one of the most romantic notes I have ever heard. Simply love it. What a remarkable work from music director Johnson!

The characters are sketched so well that I fall short of words to describe the perfection. It is much beyond excellence. The movie is an adaptation of the K.K Sudhakaran's novel Namukku Gramangalil Chennu Raparkkam. I haven't read the book but the adaptation is extremely beautiful.

Romance lingers in each and every scene of this movie. I am sure everybody would agree that there is romance even in the title - Namukku Paarkkan Munthiri Thoppukal! (let us go dwell in the vineyards). The dialogues are awesome. The Song of Songs from the Bible has been used magnificiently - it's brilliant!

This cinema narrates the story of Solomon who falls in love with the girl next door - Sofia. This will be among those very few tales where viewers will neither seek an explanation on why Sofia gets noticed by Solomon from the very first time he sees her, nor would they simply dismiss it off as the unexplained phenomena of love at first sight.

Solomon is the ideal man a woman would fall in love with. But the beauty is that scene after scene he surprises you. Mohanlal has blown so much life into the character that you won't, for even a second, term Solomon to be someone you would only find in books. He is ideal and at the same time appears extremely realistic. I am not sure if all guys would want a lady like Sofia in their life. But I would definitely vouch that all women should be like her. No matter what circumstances you are in, I have always believed that women should be cautious, strong, bold and extremely courageous.

The story has such a natural flow. It gives you glimpses on how dramatic real life events can turn out when you have your mind set to achieve something. Each time you feel you've crossed a hurdle you realise you are next to a bigger one. And finally when you cross them all, there may still be loose ends which you can tie up after a period of time. But, you have peace in your eyes and soul that you have done the right thing. I am so glad that the climax is the way it is - no forced tragedy here - almost a trend that was followed in the 80s.

Namukku Paarkkan Munthiri Thoppukal is backed by a powerful cast. Each and everyone of them have done a good job. But it would be unfair without a few special mentions. Honestly, I have never quite preferred Mohanlal for a Christian character, but he is so perfect as Solomon that I wouldn't picture anybody else playing the role. Paul Pailokkaran (Sofia's stepfather) is a disgusting character. Somebody you would dread having even as an occasional visitor - leave alone family member. That's exactly what Thilakan makes you feel. When you see both of their performances you know exactly why they are held with so much of esteem. Sofia's role demands a lot of subtle expressions. I love the way Shari has played Sofia - she has done an excellent job! And oh yes! I did come to realise why the lady who played Thilakan's wife looked the way she did in the movie.

This movie from the 80s can make you smile, cry, giggle and leave you feeling totally awe even today - no matter which generation you belong to. Namukku Paarkkan Munthiri Thoppukal is a great example why P. Padmarajan is still alive in our memories even after 23 years of his demise; it explains why he is considered a master at his art. My salutations to this maestro of Malayalam cinema!

0 comments:

Post a Comment