Wednesday 8 May 2013

Movies that Touched My Heart: The Pursuit of Happyness

Courtesy: Wikipedia
Movie release: December, 2006
Aimed to watch the movie: From December, 2006
Aim accomplished: May 2013


I know that that is a long lag time with the technology that we have today. Better late than never, I suppose. The important thing is I watched it and I already saw it around 5 times now. That action should be verdict in itself of how I rate the movie. I see a lot of movies and enjoy many of them. However, there are a few which actually touch my heart. Gabriele Muccino’s Pursuit of Happyness definitely makes it to the list.

This motion picture is based on the life of salesman-turned-stockbroker Chris Gardner. It focuses on the phase when Gardner struggles with homelessness and battles with life to make ends meet. It captures his determination to make it big while sticking to the promise he had made to himself a very long time ago – to be a good father.

Will Smith takes me by surprise in The Pursuit of Happyness. Please don't get me wrong. He is a good actor. However, he is more often seen in action-oriented roles. The ease with which he has portrayed the life of Chris Gardner was a welcome surprise. It was interesting to note that I wasn't the only one who thought so. Wikipedia says that Chris Gardner himself (who also makes a special appearance in the movie) reportedly thought Smith, an actor best known for his performances in action movies, was miscast to play him. However, he said his daughter Jacintha 'set him straight' by saying, "If Smith can play Muhammad Ali, he can play you!" 

Will Smith gives true justice to the role of Chris Gardner. Every expression was subtle and absolutely ideal to the situation at hand, especially the one in the climax scene with the board of interviewers.

The movie is a perfect portrayal of a rather imperfect life. I loved the narrative style of the movie. Since this motion picture is inspired from a book, this style particularly deserves a star.

The inference to the phrase 'pursuit of happiness', from the Declaration of Independence was thought-provoking.

I liked the titles given at different phases of Chris's life - riding the bus, being stupid, running etc. I particularly enjoyed noticing that the phase titled 'being stupid' leaves you feeling helpless, rather than making you laugh at someone's stupidity. On the contrary, there are elements of comic relief infused in the movie. For instance, the moment  the narrator describes a phase of his life as 'running', we laugh for a brief moment although the scene is in no way funny. I felt it helped balance the viewer's emotions while keeping them glued to the screen. That is, in my opinion, brilliant direction and editing.


Moments engraved in my heart:





Being a parent myself, the basketball scene was an amazing take-away. Jaden Smith particularly did an amazing job there. A 5-year-old would certainly be confused with the way the advice is shared. But it's true that such advice would grow with him. A little mystery always helps!

Also, I second the abstract statement this feature film makes. Good and effective parenting is not about being with your child all the time. It is about spending quality time with them. You needn't be secretive every time about the struggles you are going through. It teaches them things that no text books ever can. It is a realization that children are intelligent beings.



The subway scene was such an innocent scene and yet it was so touching. Good parenting often demands a lot of imagination amidst stress and helplessness. Brilliant!

Like I mentioned before, Will Smith's expressions were totally amazing. My heart goes out to the climax scene. His expression when he is with the board of interviewers was absolutely perfect. I opted out from inserting that clip just to save the climax for any late Kates like me out there who may not have seen the movie yet.

Today, I salute Chris Gardner for the life he dared to live and I give this movie credit for that. My heartfelt applause to Gabriele Muccino for designing the movie so well. Cheers to the entire cast and crew!

2 comments:

Madhusudan Joshi said...

I liked sense of humor of Chris, when he was asked, "if, a person comes for interview without putting a shirt on and the interviewer hires him, then what would you say?". He replied, "the person must have put a really nice pant".

Ha ha :)

Angsuman Barua said...

Excellent read. I love this movie too.

Post a Comment